Sunday, March 8, 2015

Dinner Entree: BBQ Chicken, Corn on the Cob and a side of Celery


This is what the child has been craving for dinner, something I have not bothered to make her in awhile.  There's really nothing to it.  I try to stay as Vegan/Raw as possible, but my daughter is a carnivore.  Trying to feed a carnivore veggies... Well... It doesn't work.

Here's how I make mine, no particular recipe needed.  I used corn, boneless chicken breasts, BBQ sauce, and a little bit of margarine.

I use Bull's-Eye Original BBQ sauce.  If I was trying to impress, I think I would make my own homemade BBQ sauce.  This is what I make my own BBQ sauce with (ketchup, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, and freshly ground pepper).  I'm in a rush to feed a hungry kid so I'm just going to go with Bull's-Eye tonight.  I know it's wrong to take short cuts, but I did it anyway.




I set my heat to medium and start the butter in the pan.



I always rinse and trim the meat.  I think there's nothing worse than trying to eat something that is bloody or has a big piece of fat or gristle on it.  I think trimming is necessity, and cannot be short cut.  A nice clean piece of meat is idea to work with.  I trimmed the fat off and the shoulder gristle. 



Say "good-bye" to that big, nasty chunk of fat.


Your chicken breasts should be trimmed clean.  I am satisfied with these two chicken breasts.


Now I'm going to put the BBQ sauce on it.  I place it in drops along the top and braise the outside of the chicken breast with the sauce.


Now it's time to put the chicken breasts in the frying pan.  I did not marinate these for long.  I think usually it's best to marinade your chicken before you cook it; let it sit and absorb all of the flavors for at least a few hours.  Braising is a different technique.  I braised mine, which is searing the outsides to trap the BBQ flavor in the chicken.  Often I flip the chicken over after it's browned and blackened, and add more sauce.  I've flipped and re-braised my chicken about 4 to 5 times in one cooking.  Each time I flip, I add more sauce.  This gives the chicken breast a great amount of BBQ flavor.











Corn takes 3 to 5 minutes to boil.  Corn is naturally ready to eat, but I know most people like to boil it.  This particular corn comes from Mexico.  In winter, corn is out of season in the U.S. so corn is rare this time of year.  What I do is start the water boiling in the pot.  Once the water is boiling, then I add the corn.   Corn cooks really fast.  As you can see, some parts of my corn quickly browned around the edges.  You don't want to over cook corn. 


I've sliced into the chicken and checked it.  I cut through the center to make sure there are no pink areas.  Pink in chicken = RAW.  You never, ever serve raw chicken.  It's very dangerous to serve raw chicken.  You could give someone salmonella poisoning.  I make sure in my home that the center of the chicken is white.  It has to be cooked thoroughly.  Once the chicken is cooked thoroughly, it can be removed from the skillet and plated.




This is a kid approved, carnivore approved meal.


I usually don't eat meat, probably only once every two weeks.  I like my corn a certain way -- just like they do in Tijuana, I like my corn with a tab of butter and Cayenne Pepper.  If you don't have Cayenne Pepper, fresh ground pepper does the trick too.  I like spicy so I'm going with the Cayenne Pepper tonight.



Give it a try, and tell me if you like it in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment