Thursday, March 5, 2015

Cleaning out the Fridge

We had a power outage about two and a half weeks ago, and the power outage lasted 8 hours.  I hadn't gone shopping because we had stocked up for food before the snow storm came through.  Once the snowstorm passed and our food storage started to level out, we decided to clean out our refrigerator.  Boy, was I in for a surprise.

As I looked around I could see a series of bad food.  They were not out of date, not expired, but for having been left out all day with no electricity in the warm air, it wrecked everything.  I had a large bottle of salsa barely opened - moldy and destroyed.  Big block of American cheese - hardened completely inedible, destroyed.  Mayonnaise that had gone oily and chunky yellow globs, destroyed.  Two full cartons of orange juice that smelled like urine, destroyed.  A hardened package of Grands biscuits were freaking disgusting, destroyed.  Carton of eggs were of a rotten composure, destroyed.  Milk that smelled sour, destroyed.  I think when I smelled the milk, my face went green and my gag reflexes kicked in.  It's enough to vomit. 

Needless to say, we lost most of everything in our refrigerator.  You think the power company will reimburse us for our losses? No.  I looked at my trash bag and there was about 100 pounds of food that had gone bad.  I was shaking my head - unbelievable!  I carried this huge load out to the trash, and I was thinking, "what a waste!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment