Saturday, February 28, 2015

Lissa's Chicken Curry

My growing daughter always requests that I make this recipe especially for her.  Chicken curry is one of my favorite to cook for the family because it is so filling, delicious and good for you.  This recipe especially fills you up fast.  Kids tend to have that bottomless pit of a stomach that has to be constantly fed.  Hungry adults like it too.  I think this is one recipe that will keep them feeling full and happy.



Melissa's Chicken Curry

1 Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
4 Tbsp of Sour Cream
4 tsp of Curry Powder
1/4 cup Water
1-2 Chicken Breasts fresh or thawed (preferably fresh)
2 cups of Rice, preferably Basmati.  Since Basmati Rice is so expensive, in this recipe I replaced it with the sweet, fragrant Jasmine Rice.



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.



In a mixing bowl, stir together the cream of chicken soup, sour cream, curry powder.








Taste it to make sure that the curry powder is not too overpowering, but not too subtle.  If it needs a little more curry powder for flavor, add more.  I like mine where there is a rich essence of curry.





Stir in the curry powder.




Last, slowly add the water. When the sauce cooks, it's going to become more watery so choose carefully the amount of water.  If you want your chicken curry to be extra creamy and extra thick, then add less water.





 I tasted mine, and it needed a little more curry powder.  Some people might think it's too spicy.  I like mine with a little more spice.  If you like yours regular, follow the recipe, but if you want a little more kick to it, add a little more curry powder like I did.


Once you have your curry sauce perfected, it's time to move onto cleaning and trimming the chicken.  The supermarket claims that they trimmed the chicken back, but I still see parts that need to be removed.  Now is the time to carefully inspect your chicken before using it.  Trim the chicken, and cut it into chunks.







Add the chicken into your curry mix.  Stir the chicken and the curry mix together.











Place the chicken curry mix into a glass casserole pan or glass pie plate.  We are just making a small batch so we used a glass pie plate.


Cook for 45 minutes.  Check to see that there is no pinkness in the middle (do not serve raw chicken.  Cooked chicken will be white in the middle in color.






I start cooking the rice the last 20 minutes because that's how long my rice takes to cook.  So for my 25 minutes that I have while the chicken curry is cooking, I usually get together all the dirty dishes and clean up.  There's nothing better than having a nice clean kitchen.

So the last 20 minute countdown, I'm going to start my rice.  Start the water boiling first.  Don't put the rice in until the water has come to a good simmer.  My general rule with rice is 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.  I brought 2 cups of water to a boil.


Next, I'm going to add a cup of rice.



I generally start the rice on a medium high heat, and then after 10 - 15 minutes, I lower the heat and cook the remainder of the water out of the rice.  That's what makes my rice light and fluffy.  If you're working with Jasmine rice, remember that Jasmine rice is extra sticky so if your rice turns out sticky, don't worry, that's just how Jasmine rice is.  Try to cook as much as the water out on a lower heat for the last 5 -10 minutes.


The timer goes off, pull the chicken curry out of the oven and check to see that the chicken meat is white and fully cooked.  Finally, plate your chicken curry.  Set the rice on the plate first.  Over the top of the rice, take the chicken curry.  Spoon the chicken out first and put it over the rice, and then drizzle the curry sauce with a spoon.  It should be steaming hot.  The chicken will be tender, and the sauce will be medium thickness.  This was my end result.









There you have it.  That's my chicken curry recipe.  If you have anything else to add, comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment