Saturday, February 28, 2015

Latest and Greatest Crochet Afghan for Mom

Over the past week, we dug through the closet and realized what a yarn hoarder I am.  I start crochet projects, and never finish them.  I decided that I would get rid of the extra yarn and make another afghan.  I had some really odd colors.  I had a wide variety of purples (multi-purple and orchid), and I also had some other colors dark blue, neon orange, and neon green.  I decided that if I wanted to, I should put together an 80's style blanket.  When I think of the 80's I think of my mom's generation, and all the bright neon colors that had come in.  I think of Prince and Purple Rain.  I think of Madonna and MJ.  I think of Cyndi Lauper because girls just want to have fun.  I think of George Michael because you gotta have faith.  I think of Bruce Springsteen because I was born in the U.S.A.  I could go on, but I think I'll stop there.  These were all some of my mom's favorite.  I wanted to make her an afghan that brought it all back.

Some people would call this an "ugly blanket."  Anything created with scrap yarn is generally considered to be "ugly."  I think this afghan is very pretty.  I like it.  My mom has curly black hair and green eyes.  Whenever I see something that has Fall colors, I automatically think of her.  I was working on this afghan and I thought to myself, "I will make this for my mom."  Later on, without any prompt, Nicole said, "You should make that blanket for grandma."  We were thinking the exact same thought.  That only confirmed my desire to make it for my mom.  I finished the blanket about midday yesterday.  I liked the result. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment