Saturday, June 20, 2015

Dollar Tree Wildflower Mix Part III

The past 2 1/2 months I have been experimenting, and trying to grow the Dollar Tree Wildflower Mix. I have been tracking the progress and will report it on the blog.  I planted around the first part of April (when no one else was planting) and started to have little sprouts pop up from the ground. To see the first part of how I planted the seeds and how the seeds sprang up, click this link Dollar Tree Wildflower Mix Part I. Below is basically what it looked like.  I was really surprised that in the colder climate of April when the weather was quite windy with some hard showers and snow, these plants were very hardy and came alive in the pot.


April 6, 2015



About 8 days later, I took another picture to track the progressive growth of the wildflowers... If you want to click the link Dollar Tree Wildflower Mix Part II.



April 14, 2015



We waited for a long while.  I was hoping that we were going to see flowers of some kind so I was going to make a post about what the wildflowers actually turned out to be. Unfortunately, after all this time, I still do not have any flowers that have bloomed to brag about. I believe the reason for the delay in flowering may have been the weather. We had several rainstorms and flash flooding warnings in the summer monsoon season. We live two hours North of Las Vegas so when it rains, it pours hard. We haven't had as much sunshine as we normally do. Lately though it has been getting sunnier.  

I have had some small budding in the larger plants, but nothing really significant. I am a little disappointed that it has taken so long for any real progress to happen. I am hoping I can update this post with good news. The good news is that the wildflowers are still alive and thriving.  I have watered them once daily or every other day weather permitting.


June 20, 2015




There has been some growth as far as length goes, but still no flowers.  Some of the spiky shaped flowers have ends that are budding with what looks like might bloom as a flower that is white. We will have to wait and see. It's still a work in progress, and might take all summer long for a flowering result. My concern is if it flowers, will it die soon after?  Some flowering plants, that is their life cycle. They start out as seedlings, they grow, they bloom and produce seeds of their own, they flower, and then they die.  Many of these flowering plants have very short life cycles as in three or four months. If you're lucky enough to be able to keep the seeds, you can save them and plant a garden for next year.

Question of the Day
Was the Dollar Tree Wildflower Mix worth $1?

I think this Wildflower Mix was well worth the $1 for a few good reasons.  

#1 The seeds sprouted out live plants that grew so it was not defective.  The Wildflower Mix worked well.  

#2 We had a series of bad weather advisories: thunder storms, hail storms, and flash flood rain, and the plants survived all of the bad weather.  These wildflowers are extremely hardy to the elements.

#3 The plants DO have buds on them which means they will most likely flower soon.  They are called wildFLOWERs for a reason, and that's because they are supposed to produce some kind of flower.  What kinds of flowers will this Dollar Tree Wildflower Mix produce?  I'm not sure... Right now that's the mystery of ordeal so we shall soon see.  So far, so good... I can't wait to see what happens.  Subscribe by email in the top right so that you never miss a post.  Add us to your Google Circles. Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook.  Thank you for all of your support.

Love, 
Lissa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a Comment